Cold Weather Equipment Course
Location and Timings
Event Info and Requirements
This class is an introduction to the principles influencing comfort in cold weather conditions. It includes an overview of modern layering systems and sleeping gear. A practical outdoor component lets participants test their gear in real conditions. The class is ideal for individuals looking to participate in military simulations in the colder seasons and in the winter. It is also useful for those looking to begin camping in the winter.
- Beginner to Intermediate
- Knowledge based small class plus practical exercises
- Key principles that help you understand how to stay warm - Generation of heat and moisture, how heat energy is lost, and how equipment manages heat and moisture.
- The modern technical 'Layering' system - modern vs. traditional methods, what layering is and how it works, the three main layering components.
- Equipment for sleeping outside - sleeping bags and pads, shelters and bivys, tips for staying warm
- Practical outdoor experience - a short hike that helps you get experience with your own equipment choices and helps you identify where improvements are required
- Small class size. Only 16 spots available.
- We'll test your gear! Bring your cold weather clothing to be tested.
- Bring a headlamp!
- Receive a copy of the military PCU clothing system quick reference guide.
- This is NOT a survival course. This course introduces the principles of keeping warm and selecting equipment for their activity
- You MUST be registered. This class has a firm limit on participants.
Who's Teaching the Class
- Sean is the owner of Blackline and has over a decade of backcountry camping experience, including five years of winter camping. He is certified in wilderness first aid.
Getting to the Venue
- Transit - The 504 King and 63 Ossington routes have stops at the intersection of King St. and Shaw St. - This is the closest transit stop
- Car - Paid parking is available on most streets around the building
- Get to the Party Room - Buzz the concierge and let them know you're here for the event in the party room. Use the elevators to get to the roof (floor R).
- Course Admission$25$250$0